Share Appeal - “Broadway here we come”
article by: SJO
The Gloucestershire Warwickshire Steam Railway PLC is in the
process of rebuilding and restoring a former Great Western mainline
as a heritage railway. The empty trackbed from Broadway to
Cheltenham was purchased in 1981 and reconstruction commenced.
Since then, 12 miles of track, three stations and associated
facilities have been lovingly recreated for public enjoyment.
- Creating Toddington as the prime visitor gateway for the
- Operating regular time-tabled public passenger trains.
- Establishing Toddington as the motive power centre, complete
with new locomotive shed.
- Establishing Winchcombe at the permanent way and the carriage
and wagon centre of the railway.
- Operating race day trains to the refurbished Cheltenham Race
- Creating a visitor attraction with both nostalgic and
- Encouraging a friendly attitude in our staff when dealing with
other volunteers as well as the public.
- Fostering a "small country station" environment at
- Building twelve miles of first class track capable of carrying
the heaviest locomotives at 25 mph.
- Signalling our station layouts using semaphore signals.
In addition to that list of large achievements there are
countless smaller items such as:
- Moving a complete station building from Monmouth to
- Rebuilding Gotherington Halt
- Creating a picnic areas at Winchcombe
Milestones for the future:
- Extension northwards by 5 miles to Broadway.
- Recreating Broadway station.
- Building a carriage shed at Winchcombe to protect our restored
- Signalling the Broadway extension.
- Upgrade of loco facilities and staff amenities
How is all this achieved?
All this work has been completed by a staff of unpaid volunteers
working to professional standards, using revenue generated from our
operations and shareholder capital. We need more volunteers and
capital to enhance and extend the railway.
Ownership of the Railway
The railway is owned by its shareholders, many of whom are also
members of our supporting body (the GWRT). The benefits of being a
- Having your say in the way the railway develops.
- Attending the Annual General Meeting, to hear first hand the
current progress of the line.
- Half-yearly progress reports.
- Travel benefits which increase with increasing numbers of
- Invitations to special events.
The travel benefits for shareholders are as follows:
- 100 - 500 shares - Three free round
trip vouchers per year
- 501 - 1000 shares - Four free round
trip vouchers a year
- 1001 - 3000 shares - Five free
round trip vouchers a year
- 3001 - 5000 shares - Free
unlimited travel for share holder plus two persons
- Over 5000 shares - as
3001 - 5000 except two persons becomes family (total 2 adults and 2
children) plus includes non bookable events
How do I apply?
Click here to download an
application form, print it, complete it and post it to the
address on the form.
Or for more information write to:
Buy GWR Shares, GWSR plc, The Railway Station, Toddington,
Gloucestershire, GL54 5DT
Or fill in our online form below.
If you would like to buy shares by paying in regular instalments
download and complete this form and post it back
to the railway.
Alternatively you can buy shares on line by credit
card. Again the minimum purchase is £50 and you can buy increments
of £1. There is also the option to join the "300 club" by buying
£1000 of shares or more.
A copy of the Gloucestershire Warwickshire Steam Railway, PLC
NOTES for SHAREHOLDERS can be downloaded here,